12 April 2022: Letter To Editor
Pancreas Allograft Thrombosis as a Post-COVID-19 Complication in a Diabetic Patient After Pancreas TransplantationKarolina Kędzierska-Kapuza1ABCDEF*, Grzegorz Witkowski 1BDE, Katarzyna Baumgart-Gryn2E, Marek Durlik1ABG
Ann Transplant 2022; 27:e935863
ABSTRACT: Arterial and venous thrombosis of pancreatic allografts is a rare complication in the late post-transplantation period. In addition to traditional thrombosis risk factors, SARS-CoV-2 infection predisposes patients to thrombotic diseases in both arterial and venous vessels. Transplant patients with a history of COVID-19 should be carefully monitored for arterial embolism and graft vein thrombosis. Early detection of this complication in patients after transplantation allows a chance to save the organ. Thromboprophylaxis with low molecular weight heparin is of great importance.
Keywords: COVID-19, Embolism and Thrombosis, Pancreas Transplantation
Transplant patients who have experienced COVID-19 should be carefully monitored for the occurrence of graft arterial and vein embolism. Early detection of these complications in patients after organ transplantation gives an opportunity to save the organ. Thromoprophylaxis with low molecular weight heparin is highly important and should be continued in high-risk patients (obese, with persistent d-dimer levels >1000) for a minimum of 2 weeks (preferably 4–6 weeks) after reaching the convalescent status.
FiguresFigure 1. (A–C) 3D vascular reconstructions of Computed Tomography. A, B – Arterial phase. C – Venous phase. The marks show the localization of pancreatic graft. It is not visible because of the absence of blood flow. (D–G) Images from gastroduodenoscopy. Marks show the necrosis of the mucosa of transplanted duodenum with central ulceration.
1. Haldane V, De Foo C, Abdalla SM, Health systems resilience in managing the COVID-19 pandemic: Lessons from 28 countries: Nat Med, 2021; 27; 964-80
3. Goldman IA, Ye K, Scheinfeld MH, Lower-extremity arterial thrombosis associated with COVID-19 is characterized by greater thrombus burden and increased rate of amputation and death: Radiology, 2020; 297; E263-69
4. Wang T, Chen R, Liu C, Attention should be paid to venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in the management of COVID-19: Lancet Haematol, 2020; 7; e362-63
5. Kędzierska-Kapuza K, Zielińska D, Matejak-Górska M, Durlik M, The course of SARS-CoV-2 in a patient after a recent kidney transplant: A literature review on COVID-19 therapy: Transplant Proc, 2021; 53; 1194-201
6. Tantisattamo E, Dafoe DC, Ferrey AJ, Kidney allograft infarction associated with transplant renal artery stenosis in a COVID-19 kidney transplant recipient: Clin Nephrol Case Stud, 2021; 26(9); 93-104
7. Xu JJ, Samaha D, Mondhe S, Renal infarct in a COVID-19-positive kidney-pancreas transplant recipient: Am J Transplant, 2020; 20; 3221-24
02 September 2022 : Original articleIncidence of COVID-19 and Identification of Possible Risk Factors Associated with COVID-19 in Acute Renal T...
Ann Transplant In Press; DOI: 10.12659/AOT.937688
12 April 2022 : Letter/CorrespondencePancreas Allograft Thrombosis as a Post-COVID-19 Complication in a Diabetic Patient After Pancreas Transpla...
Ann Transplant 2022; 27:e935863
12 November 2021 : Original articleCoronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients: A Case-Control Study
Ann Transplant 2021; 26:e933152
29 Sep 2022 : Original articleRisk Factors for Polyomavirus, Cytomegalovirus, and Viruria Co-Infection for Follow-Up of Renal Transplant ...
Ann Transplant In Press; DOI: 10.12659/AOT.937771
15 Sep 2022 : Original articleCardiovascular Risk Factors in Patients Before and After Successful Liver Transplantation
Ann Transplant In Press; DOI: 10.12659/AOT.935656
14 Sep 2022 : Original articleReduced Risk of Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease (cGVHD) by Rabbit Anti-Thymocyte Globulin (ATG) in Patien...
Ann Transplant In Press; DOI: 10.12659/AOT.937356
Most Viewed Current Articles
26 Jan 2022 : Review articleRecurrence of Hepatocellular Carcinoma After Liver Transplantation: Risk Factors and Predictive Models
Ann Transplant 2022; 27:e934924
29 Dec 2021 : Original articleEfficacy and Safety of Tacrolimus-Based Maintenance Regimens in De Novo Kidney Transplant Recipients: A Sys...
Ann Transplant 2021; 26:e933588
24 Jul 2020 : Review articleKidney Transplantation in the Times of COVID-19 – A Literature Review
Ann Transplant 2020; 25:e925755