Logo Annals of Transplantation Logo Annals of Transplantation Logo Annals of Transplantation

21 May 2009

Living donor kidney transplantation (LDKT) – 10 years single centre experience

A Chamienia, A Dębska-Ślizień, B Rutkowski, G Moszkowska, D Zadrożny, Z Śledziński

Ann Transplant 2009; 14(1): 59-59 :: ID: 880522


Background: Kidney transplantation (KT) is considered the best treatment option for most patients with chronic renal failure. Available data show that living donor KT (LDKT) is a viable option in transplantation characterized by better short and long term results. In Poland number of LDKT is very low and accounts for between 2 and 3% of all KT performed.
Material/Methods: We present here 10 years of LDKT experience in a single centre between 1999 and 2009. There were 23 LDKT performed during this period, which accounts for 3.3% of all KT in this period.
Results: Most (83%) were living related donor KT. Mean recipient's age was
33±11 years and mean donor's age was 48±7 years. Most donors were women (15-65%). In most but 3 cases the LDKT was a fi rst transplant. Mean number of HLA class I and II mismatches was 3.2±1.3. Mean cold ischemia time was 167±51 min. and warm ischemia time 37±36 min. 4 recipients (17.4%) received ATG induction and 3 (13%) daclizumab induction. 34% of recipients were placed on cyclosporin based immunosuppression and remaining 66% on tacrolimus. 59% received mycophenolate mofetil. All recipients received steroids. Delayed graft function was observed in 3 cases and in 4 cases acute rejection was diagnosed. One year patient's and graft's survival were both 100%. Five year patient's and graft's survival were 100% and 93%, respectively. The mean serum creatinine levels at hospital discharge, 6 months, 1 and 5 years after KT were 1.91±0.4, 1.7±0.3, 1.55±0.4 and 1.64±1.09 mg/dl, respectively.
Conclusions: Our results confi rm excellent outcomes reported previously in
LDKT. This form of KT should be actively promoted in our country.

Keywords: Kidney Transplantation, Living Donors

Add Comment 0 Comments

196 0

In Press

02 Jun 2023 : Original article  

Survival analysis of transplant-associated thrombotic microangiopathy under different diagnostic criteria a...

Ann Transplant In Press; DOI: 10.12659/AOT.939890  

17 May 2023 : Original article  

Results of Liver Retransplantation After Rescue Hepatectomy: A Single-Center Study

Ann Transplant In Press; DOI: 10.12659/AOT.939557  

10 May 2023 : Original article  

Incidence of Thromboembolic Complications Following Kidney Transplantation with Short and Extended Aspirin ...

Ann Transplant In Press; DOI: 10.12659/AOT.939143  

Most Viewed Current Articles

24 Aug 2021 : Review article  

Normothermic Machine Perfusion (NMP) of the Liver – Current Status and Future Perspectives

DOI :10.12659/AOT.931664

Ann Transplant 2021; 26:e931664

26 Jan 2022 : Review article  

Recurrence of Hepatocellular Carcinoma After Liver Transplantation: Risk Factors and Predictive Models

DOI :10.12659/AOT.934924

Ann Transplant 2022; 27:e934924

29 Dec 2021 : Original article  

Efficacy and Safety of Tacrolimus-Based Maintenance Regimens in De Novo Kidney Transplant Recipients: A Sys...

DOI :10.12659/AOT.933588

Ann Transplant 2021; 26:e933588

15 Mar 2022 : Case report  

Combined Liver, Pancreas-Duodenum, and Kidney Transplantation for Patients with Hepatitis B Cirrhosis, Urem...

DOI :10.12659/AOT.935860

Ann Transplant 2022; 27:e935860

Your Privacy

We use cookies to ensure the functionality of our website, to personalize content and advertising, to provide social media features, and to analyze our traffic. If you allow us to do so, we also inform our social media, advertising and analysis partners about your use of our website, You can decise for yourself which categories you you want to deny or allow. Please note that based on your settings not all functionalities of the site are available. View our privacy policy.

Annals of Transplantation eISSN: 2329-0358
Annals of Transplantation eISSN: 2329-0358